Even if you are not an automobile enthusiast, you might have at least once in your lifetime worked on cars and found it a very engaging task to do. The most basic example is changing the tires of your car and at least in case of emergencies, you might have done that. One of the most important tools you will require is the jacks and jack stands. Ensuring that you are using the correct car jacks and jack stands is a necessity. Not only for tire replacement but they can also be used for performing any minor vehicle repairs. This article helps you get the right jack stands for car as per your needs.
What is Jack Stands?
Jack stands have a shape similar to a tripod and perform the function of supporting the weight of the car. After the car is raised with the help of a jack and these stands are kept in place, the vehicle is supported on these stands and the jack is removed. They should be placed on leveled surfaces to avoid any sort of disbalance in the car. The top of the jack stands is shaped to provide support to the vehicle axle. These should be used only after carefully checking specifications.
How to Choose a Suitable Jack Stands for Your Car?
In today’s market, we can find a variety of options even for a single type of jack stands. These are categorized based on maximum height and maximum weight capacity. The height of the jack stand lies within 13 to 25 inches generally. The maximum weight capacity of the jack stand lies between 2 tons to 25 tons. We, as a customer, have to understand how to choose the jack stand as per our requirement.
Types of Jack Stand
The various types of jack stand available in the market are:
1. Pin Lock Jack Stand:
In this type of jack stand, you can adjust the height of the stand using your hand while the holes are being lined up. After that, you need to slide the pin to ensure that the stand is held at the required height. The material of the pin is steel or iron to ensure that the jack stand has the highest strength.
2. Ratchet Lock Jack Stand:
These jack stands have the easiest-to-use locking system. At the same time, these have the most chances of failure occurrence. If you are buying these jack stands, ensure that you check the specifications and buy them from a reputed manufacturer. This will make sure that the jack stands are well manufactured and will reduce the chances of failure. Operation of this type of jack stand will include pumping the lever up the stand to a required height and triggering the release to lower the jack stand.
3. Screw Lock Jack Stand:
This is the least commonly used jack stand. It is more stable than a ratchet stand but has slightly lesser stability than a pin lock stand. The main problem with this is the method of using it. The supporting system upon which your car is placed is situated on the top of a screw. To lift or lower it, the bar will be screwed or unscrewed from the base. This will take a lot of time and is tedious. The advantages of type are that it is easier to use and a custom height can be achieved.
While selecting the right jack stand, the following points should be kept in mind
For lifting the car in the air for any minor repairing or modification purposes, you may require jack stands. You should make sure not to support your car only on a jack, as sometimes your car jack might either lose pressure or get damaged while lifting the car and this may lead to severe damage. The solution to this problem lies in Jack Stands. The following factors should be kept in mind while choosing the right jack stand:
1. Maximum Weight Capacity:
All the jack stands are associated with a maximum weight capacity that they can lift safely. You should ensure that you are buying a jack stand that can hold the weight of your vehicle.
Out of all the jack stands you find, a majority of them are manufactured using steel. You will also find the jack stands made of aluminum. The Aluminium ones are usually costlier than the steel ones, but these have the benefits of being lighter so carrying it is easier and rust-free.
3. The design used for locking:
There are a variety of designs for locking available in the market. The majority of manufacturers use ratchet/lever locking. We can also find pin-in-hole locks in the market and out of the two, the pin-in-hole locks are more stable than ratchet/lever locking. But even the ratchet locking will work well here.
4. Maximum lifting capacity:
The maximum lifting capacity is the maximum height up to which the jack stand can be lifted without getting damaged. We should ensure that it can lift the vehicle so that we can perform our work easily and conveniently.
5. Size of the Base:
This is one of the most important factors. Having a wide base will ensure that the jack will be stable. Therefore, Jacks in the shape of a pyramid are widely used as they have a wider base.
Selecting the correct jack will ensure that you can lift your car safely. Here I am giving you a list of the top 5 best jack stands that will be a good fit for your car.
List of the Top 5 Best Jack Stands for Car:
|Name of the Jack Stand||Image||Capacity (Ton)||Minimum Lift Height||Maximum Lift Height||Rating||Price|
|BIG RED T43202 Torin Steel Jack Stands||3.0 (6000 lbs)||11-¼ Inches||16-¾ Inches||4.7/5||Check Price|
|BIG RED T42002A Torin Steel Jack Stands |
|2.0 (4,000 lb)||10-13/16 Inches||16-9/16 Inches||4.7/5||Check Price|
|Pro-LifT T-6906D Double Pin Jack Stand||6.0 (12000 lbs)||16||23.5||4.8/5||Check Price|
|CARTMAN Jack Stands with Outer Foot pad||2.0 (4000 lbs)||11||17||4.5/5||Check Price|
|OTC S03 3-Ton Jack Stands||3.0 (6000 lbs)||12 Inches||17-11/16 Inches||4.7/5||Check Price|
Best Portable Jack Stands for Car: Reviews
Firstly, we have the Torin BIG RED T43202 lightweight jack stands for a car that will be used to support the vehicle when they are lifted off the ground. These are made from high-grade forged steel and have a welded frame design that will ensure durability.
It can be used with a variety of vehicles and which includes small cars, SUVs, and light-duty trucks. The height can be adjusted from 11-¼ inches to 16-¾ inches and has a 3-ton weight capacity. This ratchet-type locking mechanism will ensure fast adjustments of height. It has a large surface area which will provide a better contact for the load that is supported. Pyramid shape ensures greater strength and more stable support.
- 3 Ton Capacity (Also available in 2, 3, 6, and 12 Ton Capacity)
- Light Weight and easy to carry.
- Lifting height of 11-¼ inches to 16-¾ inches.
- Ratchet-type locking mechanism gives you fast adjustment of height.
- Crafted out of high-grade forged steel and has a welded frame design for durability.
- Large surface area for better load support and stability.
- It meets the ASME safety standards which ensure reliability and strength
|Item Weight||7.7 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||15*9*8 Inches|
|Adjustable Height||11-¼ inches to 16-¾ inches|
|Weight Capacity||3 ton|
|Suitable for Vehicle||small cars, SUVs, and light duty trucks|
- construction is Rock solid
- Made with High quality forged steel
- Support mostly all the cars
- Pocket Friendly
- It is unable to support heavy-duty vehicles
- Capacity: 2 Ton (4000 lbs)
- Lift Height: 10-13/16″ to 16-9/16″
- Rating: 4.7/5
Secondly, we have the Torin BIG RED T43002A steel double locking jack stands which can lift a wide range of vehicles including small cars, jeeps, ATV, and UTV. It is made of high-grade steel and has a welded frame which will ensure durability and quality.
It can lift to a range of 10-13/16 inches to 16-9/16 inches and has a lifting capacity of 2 tons (4,000 lb). The jack stand has a removable locking support pin which will ensure safety. Height can be adjusted quickly. It has a wider base which will provide increased strength and the large foot base improves stability.
- Double locking system that gives extra protection.
- A different weight variation is available, Weight capacity ranges from 2 to 6 Ton.
- The large surface area of the saddle provides increased contact with the load that is supported.
- Made with heavy-duty steel and it is industrially welded.
- The jack stand has a removable locking support pin which will ensure safety.
- the wider base which will provide increased strength and the large foot base improves stability
- ASME safety standards and has a limited 1-year manufacturer warranty.
|Item Weight||1 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||13.78*7.68*7.09 inches|
|Adjustable Height||10-13/16″ to 16-9/16″|
|Weight Capacity||2 ton|
|Suitable for Vehicle||small cars, jeeps, ATV and UTV|
- One-year warranty associated
- Double Locking systems which improve the safety
- It is easier to coordinate between all the jacks
- It is able to lift only up to 16 inches
Thirdly, we have the Pro lift T-6906D 6-ton double locking jack stand. It is made of high quality cast ductile iron ratchet bar and sturdy stamped steel base to provide long lasting property and durability. These are ideal for using in house, professional and farm. It has an attached pin lock that will provide the support and hence locking the ratchet bar in the correct position providing an extra point for carrying. The locking mechanism increases the strength and will help securely lock in the required position quickly and easily.
- Made of stamped steel and has a capacity of 6 ton
- Lifting height ranges from 16-23.5 Inches
- The ratchet bar is made of high quality cast ductile iron
- the double-lock mechanism which has handle locks and mobility pin
- It has a height adjustment mechanism that will allow a smoother upward motion while releasing the handle locks and the mobility pin
- It meets the ANSI/PALD standards
- And is ideal for home, Auto, truck service, farm, and shop use.
|Item Weight||26.4 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||18 x 12 x 10 inches|
|Adjustable Height||16-23.5 Inches|
|Weight Capacity||6 ton|
|Suitable for Vehicle||house, professional and farm purposes|
- It is long-lasting
- It has a weighing capacity of 6 ton
- better locking mechanism
- smoother upward motion
- the large base which ensures stability
- It is not as low as might be required
Fourth we have the Cartman 2 Ton Jack Stand which has a double locking pawl and tooth design which provides greater protection. It has a one-piece multi-position ductile ratchet bar which enhances the durability and the strength of the jack stand. It also has an adjustment mechanism that will quickly and securely lock it to the required location and hence provides it an extra safety factor.
- 2 Ton (4,400 lb) weight capacity
- It comes as two heavy-duty steel jack stands at a pocket-friendly rate
- It has an adjustment mechanism that will quickly and securely lock it to the required location
- The adjustable height here ranges from 11 inches to 17 inches
- It is made of high-grade forged steel and also it has a welded frame for durability and also improves the safety factor
- It meets the ANSI standards
|Item Weight||12.17 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||14.5 x 9.1 x 7.7 inches|
|Adjustable Height||11-17 Inches|
|Weight Capacity||2 Ton|
|Suitable for Vehicle||Small Cars|
- an adjustment mechanism that will quickly and securely lock it
- made of high-grade forged steel with welded frame
- Lightest jack and failure chances is more as compared with other jack stand
Finally, we have OTC S03 3-ton jack stands which have high strength and high capacity. The safety is ensured as it has a self-locking ratchet handle that will not be released under load. It is provided with support saddles that are crafted with multiple contours which help you in securely supporting the vehicles. It has a durable baked enamel finish which will help resist rust and corrosion. The adjustable height ranges from 12 inches to 17-11/16 inches. It meets the ANSI/PALD standards.
- It provides high strength and high capacity
- It has a durable baked enamel finish which will help resist rust and corrosion
- Self-locking ratchet handle that will not be released under load.
- The flat base which prevents sinking.
- It is provided with support saddles that are crafted with multiple contours which help you in securely supporting the vehicles
- It meets the ANSI/PALD standards
|Item Weight||14.5 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||13.3 x 10 x 13 inches|
|Adjustable Height||12 inch to 17-11/16 inches|
|Weight Capacity||3 ton|
|Suitable for Vehicle||small cars, SUVs, and light duty trucks|
- High strength and high capacity
- Rust and corrode free
- Self-locking ratchet handle that will not be released under load
- It has a flat base which prevents sinking
- more expensive than the other options available
Here we have reviewed the top 5 best jack stands for cars. Among them, you can have one according to your requirement. If you found this piece of information useful and valuable then don’t forget to like and share.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it safe to work under the vehicle being supported using hydraulic jacks?
It is not at all safe to work under a vehicle that is held up using hydraulic jacks. While working underneath a vehicle, it is safe to use a jack stand.
2. Is it safe to lift just one side of a vehicle using jack stands?
Yes, it is safe to lift one side only using jack stands but you have to follow some safety precautions while doing so. Keep some chocks or blocks under the wheels so they don’t roll off the jacks.
3. What should you do in case your jack stand fails?
Make sure that as soon as you jack your vehicle up, keep one of the wheels that are removed in a solid section under your vehicle. In case your jack fails and the vehicle falls, it would not fall directly to the ground. Hence this would save your life.