There is a huge variety of car jacks in the market. One of these is floor jacks which are used in garages and workshops where there might be no size constraint and heavy vehicles are needed to be lifted off ground for any maintenance or repairing work. Choosing the right floor jack is a must to prevent severe damages while repairing the car. Being a customer, you should have the basic knowledge to be able to choose the desired car jack depending on your needs. This article will help you to choose the right floor jack depending on your requirements.
Introduction to Floor Jacks:
In a floor jack, operating the long vertical handle pumps the hydraulic lift to raise the vehicle easily. Floor jacks operate on the principle of mechanical advantage. These are very helpful in situations where quick changing of the tires and repairing in garages and workshops are required. The floor jacks give a wider range of lifting heights than bottle jacks. These have a relatively larger size which makes it difficult to keep these in the trunk of the cars for emergencies. Despite this, having wheels on these jacks helps in moving them around in workshops and garages easily.
After watching a lot of videos on youtube and reading reviews at different sites. We have listed the top 5 best floor jacks for your car that you can have in your garage for the repairing and maintenance work.
List of the 5 Best Floor Jack to choose from for Your Car
|Name of the Jack||Image||Capacity (Ton)||Minimum Lift Height||Maximum Lift Height||Jack Weight||Rating||Price|
|1. Arcan 3-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack||3 (6000 lbs)||11-5/8 inches||17.5 inches||56 pounds||4.7/5||Check Price|
|2. Pro-lift F-767 Grey Low Profile Floor Jack||2.0 (4000 lbs)||3-1/2 inches||14 inches||30 pounds||4.4/5||Check Price|
|3. Blackhawk B6350 Black/Red Fast lift Service Jack||3.5 (7000 lbs)||5.5 inches||22 inches||85 pounds||4.6/5||Check Price|
|4. Big Red T83006 Torin Hydraulic Jack||3.0 (6000 lbs)||5-⅞ inches||20-⅞ inches||18 pounds||4.4/5||Check Price|
|5. Liftmaster 3 Ton Heavy Duty Ultra Low Profile Steel Floor Jack with Quick Lift||3.0 (6000 lbs)||3 inches||20 inches||72.6 pounds||4.6/5||Check Price|
Significance of Floor Jacks
The floor jacks in combination with the jack stands are one of the best solutions to get your car into a position that provides stability to the vehicle to perform a variety of tasks. It is the most reliable jack in the market if the specifications are rightly chosen. It has many advantages such as high lifting power attained by putting a small effort and a wider range lifting height provided by the jack. These provide jacking leverage even in small spaces. These can be easily used in vehicles having lower ground clearance other jacks might be dysfunctional. A person owning a workshop or garage would require a floor jack due to their greater benefits and ability to work with a variety of cars being its economy car, SUV, or truck.
How to Choose the Right Floor Jack for your Car?
These are the strongest and most efficient jacks available in the market today. While investing in a new floor jack, the most important factors to consider are the cost and the amount of effort you need to put into lifting the vehicle. Floor jacks are manually operated and all we need to do is applying a minimum effort to lift the vehicle. The four major factors to be considered while choosing the right floor jack are:
1. Material of the Floor Jack:
The material of the floor jack is the most important factor while choosing the right floor jack from options available in the market. There are three main types of material are steel, aluminum, and hybrid, each having its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
- Steel is used for making durable and sturdy jacks having a great life even under repeated loads and are cheaper than aluminum but are heavier than other materials and hence can be used when you don’t need a portable jack typically for use in garages or workshops by professionals.
- Aluminum Jacks are lightweight than steel ones but have lesser durability and lesser lifetime than others and are used only for making portable floor jacks for smaller vehicles that can be kept in a car’s trunk without reducing its mileage.
- Hybrid Jacks are composed of both steel and aluminum where steel is used for making parts supporting the vehicle and aluminum is used for all other parts thus having properties of both materials. It has main use in places where we require a portable floor jack having a relatively higher strength for example in the racetrack or by mechanics repairing cars in an emergency.
2. Maximum Weight Capacity of the Floor Jack:
It is necessary to make sure that you are using the jack with the correct specifications as per the vehicle. Not ensuring this car leads to serious repercussions to the vehicle as well as the user. Compare the weight of your vehicle with the maximum weight capacity of the jack and make sure that the weight of the vehicle is smaller than the weight capacity so that safety is ensured.
3. Maximum and Minimum Lifting Height of the Floor Jack:
The maximum and minimum height are important factors to be considered while buying a floor jack. The minimum height of a floor jack should be considered to ensure that the ground clearance of your vehicle is greater than the minimum height otherwise the jack won’t go beneath the car. The maximum height depends on the job you need to do underneath the car. Having a 20-inch maximum height ensures all of the jobs can be done for an on-road vehicle easily and in the case of off-road vehicles you might need a greater maximum height to perform similar tasks.
4. Size of the platform:
The size of the platform refers to the surface area of the jack in which the vehicle comes in direct contact. A greater size means the vehicle will be more stable and hence this will be safer to use. The main rule that one might need to follow while buying the floor jack is the more height you want to raise the vehicle, the greater surface area you should have on the saddle of the jack to ensure stability which becomes a critical factor after a certain height.
Top 5 Best floor Jacks for Car: Review
Firstly, we have an Arcan 3-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack with Dual Pump Pistons & Reinforced Lifting Arm (ALJ3T). This jack has a 3-Ton lifting capacity and the range of height that can be attained by the jack is 11-5/8 in – 17.5 in. To prevent the slipping of the vehicle, counterweighted pawl locks are provided that securely locks the vehicle. These jacks have a larger platform provided with the locating lugs that help to support and position the entire vehicle frame. The alloyed steel with welded construction offers support for years. The jack follows the ASME PASE-2014 Safety Standards, which makes sure that these are the safest products in the market.
- These are made of lightweight aluminum of the aircraft-grade which helps in maneuvering the vehicle easily.
- It has a dual pump piston which helps to raise the floor jack easily and quickly.
- It has a reinforced lift arm that helps to increase the strength, durability, and stability of the vehicles
- It is designed for vehicle protection as it has incorporated a rubber platform and a handle bumper made of foam.
|Item Weight||56 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||30 x 13.5 x 8 inches|
|Adjustable Height||11-5/8 inches – 17.5 inches|
|Weight Capacity||3 ton|
- lifting capacity of 3 tons
- wide range of lifting heights
- frame of aluminum that makes it lightweight
- quite expensive
- It offers slower pumping
Secondly, we have the Pro-Lift F-767 Grey Low Profile Floor Jack which has a capacity of 2 Ton and that will help you to work under the vehicles having a low ground clearance. It provides a wide range of lifting heights from 3-1/2 inches to 14 inches. It includes built-in safety valves that protect the overload protection. It has a rust resistance. The heavy-duty steel used for making this jack provides long-term durability.
- It has an extra low profile
- It has a wide range of lifting height from 3-1/2 inches to 14 inches
- It has a patented bypass device that will help to protect against over-pumping.
- It includes built-in safety valves that protect the overload protection.
- It has a rust resistance.
- The heavy-duty steel used for making this jack provides long-term durability.
|Item Weight||30 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||17.91 x 5.32 x 8.47 inches|
|Adjustable Height||3-1/2 inches to 14 inches|
|Weight Capacity||2 ton|
- It is used for a vehicle having a low profile
- It is lightweight
- It is easier to pump
- It has a built-in system for protection against overload
- It would be useless when used in SUV and trucks
Thirdly, we have a Blackhawk B6350 Service Jack which has a lifting capacity of 3-1/2 ton (7,000 lbs) and lifhting height of 5.5 to 22 inches. It has a vent plug and internal safety valve built-in the floor jack to make sure that it operates safely. It is made of heavy-duty steel which gives safer usage and durability for longer terms. It has a swivel platform which gives the jack characteristics such as easy positioning and safety of the user. It has a rugged universal joint for controlling the load precisely. It is the best option for professionals working in the garage and in workshops.
- It has a vent plug and internal safety valve built-in the floor jack to make sure that it operates safely
- It has a swivel platform which gives the jack characteristics such as easy positioning and safety of the user.
- It has a lifting capacity of 3.5-ton.
- It has a rugged universal joint for controlling the load precisely.
|Item Weight||85 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||28.5 x 13.75 x 6.5 inches|
|Adjustable Height||5.5 inches – 22 inches|
|Weight Capacity||3.5 ton|
- It is a pocket-friendly option given all the characteristics
- It has a handle that is designed so that it makes the pumping easier and quicker
- It has a wide range of lifting heights from 5.5 inch to 22 inches
- It makes squeaking noises while raising the vehicles
- It has a material that can rust.
- It is a heavier floor jack as compared to others.
The fourth model is the Torin BIG RED T83006 hydraulic trolley floor jack which is made of heavy-duty steel to give the jack longer durability. It has a lifting capacity of 3 tons (6,000 lb) with the lifting height ranging from 5-⅞ inches to 20-⅞ inches. It has 360-degree swivel casters and large steel casters to ensure the vehicle maneuvers smoothly. It has a longer platform neck that will save time while lifting the vehicles. It has a single-piston quick lift pump which will help you to lift the jack to the required height easily. It has an in-built safety bypass system that will prevent the overloading of the jack and will make sure the task is safely carried.
- It is crafted by heavy-duty steel which provides it a longer durability
- It has a lifting capacity of 3 tons (6,000 lb) with the lifting height ranging from 5-⅞ inches to 20-⅞ inches.
- It has 360-degree swivel casters and large steel casters to ensure the vehicle maneuvers smoothly.
- It has a longer platform neck that will save time while lifting the vehicles.
- It has a single-piston quick lift pump which will help you to lift the jack to the required height easily
- It has an in-built safety bypass system that will prevent the overloading of the jack and will make sure the task is safely carried.
|Item Weight||18 pounds|
|Adjustable Height||5-⅞ inches to 20-⅞ inches|
|Weight Capacity||3 ton|
- It has a longer platform neck which provides higher clearance.
- It has a lifting capacity of 3 tons.
- It has a detachable neck which provides lower clearance.
- It is a lightweight option
- It requires a lot of pumping
Finally, we have the Liftmaster 3 Ton Heavy Duty Ultra Low Profile Steel Floor Jack with Quick Lift that has a lifting capacity of 3 ton, lifting height ranging from 3 inches to 20 inches, and has a lower profile of 3 inches that will allow easier placement of the jack under the vehicle. It has a dual pump system for lifting that will help save the effort applied by the user. These jacks also have a two-piece knurled steel handle which will ensure a good grip and it also has an incorporated foam bumper that will prevent damages to the vehicle. These jacks have a strengthened rubber pad that will provide greater friction and protection.
- It has a lifting capacity of 3 tons and is made of heavy-duty steel for longer durability.
- It has a lower profile of 3 inches that will allow easier placement of the jack under the vehicle.
- It has a dual pump system for lifting that will help save the effort applied by the user.
- It also has a two-piece knurled steel handle which will ensure a good grip and it also has an incorporated foam bumper that will prevent damages to the vehicle.
- It has a strengthened rubber pad that will provide greater friction and protection.
|Item Weight||72.6 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||31 x 15 x 6.5 inches|
|Adjustable Height||3 inches to 20 inches|
|Weight Capacity||3 Ton|
- It has a low point of entry of 3-inches.
- It has a maximum height achievable of 20-inches.
- It has a dual-piston pump system which helps reduce the effort.
- It has a 2-piece knurled handle that will ensure a good grip
- It has a strengthened rubber pad that will provide greater friction and protection.
- It has a non-rotating platform in this jack.
- It is a bulky jack which makes it unfit for transportation
- How should you use the floor jack?
Firstly, you should park your car on a flat leveled road. You should then block the wheels that are opposite to the desired lifting point. Then you should place the jack under the lifting point with the help of the jack handle. Start pumping the handle till the platform of the jack comes in contact with the vehicle. Continue to pump till your car is lifted to the required height. Place the jack stands under the car and then start lowering the floor jack till it can be removed from underneath the vehicle.
2. How to choose the best floor jack?
Firstly, you should ensure that the weight of your car is lesser than the maximum weight capacity of the jack and the ground clearance of your car is greater than the minimum height of the jack. Then ensure that the maximum height of the jack is as per the requirements of the job to be done underneath the car.
3. When to use a floor jack?
The floor jack should be used when you have to work beneath the vehicle and a scissor jack, a bottle jack or any other jacks are insufficient. A floor jack is commonly used by professionals in garages and workshops. The work to be done underneath the vehicle may include changing the oil, changing the tires, and the maintenance of the transmission.
6. Image Sources: